Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chibana Castle Ruins



My daughter and I stomped around the Chibana Castle ruins today (circa 14th century?). We had a good time, but there was quite a bit of climbing to do, and the ancient stone steps were pretty slick after this morning's rain. Being covered in a few hundred years of moss and mold didn't help either.

It was still neat to find the cache, and enjoy the view from the top of the castle. I'm surprised that this hasn't been made into an earth cache, since it is located at the point where the soil/stone found on the northern part of the island transitions into the southern soil/stone patterns. I'm not sure what those patterns are, but the sign at the place stated exactly that.

I was a little worried at first, since the description and hint had me looking in a specific spot that was empty, and there was some sort of discarded plastic container nearby. I thought that the cache had been muggled. Turns out that it was in fine shape. I dropped a GC and picked up a neat travel bug.

I'm glad that I looked at the hint before hand, since my GPSr got a little wonky under the heavy jungle canopy. A great time was had by me and little girl cacher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like one heck of a fine cache. And seems like it was a lot of fun to get to, as well. Cool images!