Sunday, February 22, 2009

Search Engine Referrals


I love Sitemeter. If you look down at the bottom of my sidebar, you'll see a little counter with a link to their site. Gotta be logged in to see my detailed stats :) I enjoy seeing who visited my blog, how long they stayed, and how they got here.

One of the nifty little features of Sitemeter is that it will show me what search words somebody used if they came here via a search engine (Google seems to be the top dog at the moment, but Yahoo is running a close second). Now that search engines crawl and index sites automatically, my humble little blog is actually listed. Here's some of the search terms that folks used to find me:

-"Geocaching lessons"- I'm not sure where you can get actual lessons, but I'll tutor you for a nominal fee! You can also visit Head Hard Hat, and check out some of his videos for more help.

-"Cool cache containers"- I was flattered when I saw that one, but then I realized that it's probably only due to my post that shares the same title. Oh well.

-"Kyan Castle"- Yep; been there. Nice place, and I recommend a visit. Watch out for snakes near the cache though...

-"Kanna Dam"- Yep; been there too. Just a hop, skip, and a jump from where I work. I can even hit that one at lunch!

-"What to hide in a nano cache"- Sorry neighbor; you're not going to have much luck in that regard. Nanos don't contain anything other than a very tiny, rolled up log sheet for you to put your autograph on.

Isn't technology great? I read a few folks' comments on other sites, and some were concerned with privacy. I equate surfing the internet with driving on a highway. While you have some small amount of privacy in the confines of your automobile, it is indeed registered publicly, and you have a license plate on it, right? Well, your computer has an address assigned to it, and it shows up wherever you go (IP address). If you were unaware, you also transmit what version of Java your computer is running, what your screen resolution is, what web browser you're using, and what operating system you're running. Sitemeter even tells me who your internet service provider (ISP) is. Yes! My master plan for world domination is coming along nicely!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just added site meter to my site. I'll be interested to see how it works!

Erika Jean said...

Thats cool. I had site meter on y blog a while ago but forgot my log in... I should start using it again. I use google analytics and feedburner for stats, but I miss sitemeter - I seem to understand it better!