Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wild Hogs

'Wild Hogs' was the name of the cache. It's located a few miles north of Kadena AFB, just off of Highway 58. We had just dropped the boy off to play paintball with his JROTC unit, and I thought, "Why drive right by a cache and not stop to grab it?"

My wife sat in the car, and it's a good thing. The vegetation was dense, and I have a couple of cuts to prove it. There's also the matter of the small habu that I saw along the way. He was just hangin' out sunning himself (enjoying a lazy Saturday morning).

As I was heading down the trail, using a broken off tree branch to knock down the worst of the spider webs, I learned the hard way that the ruts in the trail had clay mud in them...That stuff is slick!

I had parked less than a quarter of a mile from the cache, so I thought it would only take a couple of minutes to reach "ground zero." Silly me...35 minutes later, I had the prize in hand. I grabbed a geocoin, a travel bug that started its life in Iowa (it has over 19,000 miles on it), and a pin from North Platte, Nebraska. I dropped off a couple of travel bugs and a coin that I had been carrying around for a little over a week.

I wish my wife could have come along, since she enjoys the caches that don't have muggles around. There were a few hobo houses along the way, but no hobos present at the time. It was a good time, and a nice way to start my day. The rest of the day was spent shopping...YUCK!

Sorry for the blurry pic, but this is a cave that was along the way.



Here's the start of the trail


The cache!...and my badass GPS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the interesting ways that geocaching connects the world.

North Platte pin.

I interviewed for a job there about 5 years ago. Probably will never go back, but pretty wild that your post even mentions that place!